Here’s a simple and effective structure to get the most out of an assembled group of people. Use it as the basis for brainstorms and other generative meetings.
- Remove distractions. Encourage attendees to shut computers down and stay engaged in the conversation.
- Set context. Give the group some context on what you want them to do together—brainstorm ideas, review user video, sort information, receive feedback, etc. (5 min)
- Get the content out! Start the exercise and have participants capture their insights on post-its or sketch ideas. One idea at a time. (30 min)
- Step back to organize what was created. Encourage discussion by finding themes and identifying gaps that will move the team forward. (15 min)
- Assign specific people tasks and deadlines to ensure progress. Follow up on their progress. (10 min)